Thursday, January 9, 2014

Weekly Reading

I read the BEST book today that I just can't stop thinking about.

Cozy Classics: Moby Dick* by Holman and Jack Wang.

Seriously.

It's a board book. It's twelve pages long. It's twelve WORDS long. Favorite book of the month!

I laughed so hard when I read it that people around me in the library backed away. These authors have a sense of humor and serious editing skills, not to mention a way with felt. My favorite word? Leg. You'll just have to check it out for yourself, if I ever take it back to the library that is. Actually, I'm going to buy it and only then take it back to the library.

These authors have also happily written Pride and Prejudice, Les Miserables, and many, many more.

Other books have included:

The Kings of Clonmel, John Flanagan

Number Eight in the Ranger's Apprentice series. Looking forward for promises to be fulfilled in the next book. This series is a wonderful fantasy adventure (much more adventure than fantasy) set in medieval England (more or less). Total escape books with characters you can't imagine not actually existing as flesh and blood after you read them.

The Last Siege, Jonathan Stroud

Completely different than anything I've read by him. Contemporary teens dealing with loneliness all together in a ruined castle. I love reading authors' other works to discover how they've developed and changed over time, or what they can do with different topics.

Artists in Their Time: Andy Warhol

Hey, sometimes you just need to know more about Andy. Now I do. I have several more nonfictions to read about him. Considering dying my hair white because, you know, if it's going to happen anyway, why not pretend it's what you always wanted?

And let's not forget the picture books:

Lots of Spots**, Lois Ehlert
Leaf Man*, Lois Ehlert
Warthogs Paint, A Messy Color Book, Pamela Duncan Edwards/Henry Cole
Diary of a Fly*, Doreen Cronin/Harry Bliss
Lilly's Potty
Wiggle*, Doreen Cronin/Scott Menchin
Cool Daddy Rat*, Kristyn Crow/Mike Lester
Roar, A Noisy Counting Book**, Pamela Duncan Edwards/Henry Cole

*Highly recommended.
** Highly recommended by my 4-year-old.





No comments:

Post a Comment