Thursday, January 16, 2014

Weekly Reading

I found this little gem in the library this week. My childhood dreams have come true!

The Dot & the Line*, Norton Juster

I saw the academy award-winning short film of this book as a little girl and thought it was the most clever thing I ever saw.  I never saw it again, or even knew it was originally a picture book written in 1963. And then there it was in the little board book section of the library, even though it's not a board book. I actually attempted a very long time ago to write a book based on that film I'd seen but I just couldn't get it to work out quite right. Good thing!

This book is subtitled Romance in Lower Mathematics, and my kids don't understand a word of it, but they love it all the same. I had to dig the library's copy out of my 4 yo's bed where she ferreted it away last night.

Suzy Goose and the Christmas Star*, Petr Horacek
A very cute and intriguingly illustrated Christmas book. Yes, my kids insisted we check out a Christmas book in January.

Boo: Little Dog in the Big City, J H Lee and Gretchen Le Maistre
If you have a puppy lover, this book is for you. Photos of a fluffy puppy in all sorts of clothes doing all sorts of things...quite a long book, actually.

Little White Rabbit*, Kevin Henkes
My Garden*, Kevin Henkes
Simple, beautiful picture books by one of my favorite author illustrators. Both of these feature beautiful color pencil drawings and focus on imagination. My kids wanted to talk about each of these when I was done reading.

How Many Fish?, Caron Lee Cohen and S D Schindler
Hello Kitty: What Will You Be A to Z?

*Highly Recommended



No comments:

Post a Comment